Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 00:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WaveLAN: What the heck is TX rate 8 ??!

[ follow up to -questions please ]

While messing around with WaveLAN tonight, I noticed something highly
unusual when running wicontrol:

[dburr@borg-cube:116 ~]% /usr/sbin/wicontrol
NIC serial number:                      [ 99UT12373929 ]
Station name:                           [ DATABANK ]
SSID for IBSS creation:                 [ FreeBSD IBSS ]
[...]
TX rate (selection):                    [ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 5 ]
[...]
Max sleep time:                         [ 100 ]

What the hell is TX rate 8?!!  I've never heard of this before, and There
is no mention of it in the wicontrol(8) or wi(4) man pages.  Actually,
wicontrol(8) does mention the tx rate settings:

     -i iface -t tx rate
                 Set the transmit rate of the specified interface.  The
legal
                 values for the transmit rate vary depending on whether
the
                 interface is a standard WaveLAN/IEEE or a WaveLAN/IEEE
Turbo
                 adapter.  The standard NICs support a maximum transmit
rate
                 of 2Mbps while the turbo NICs support a maximum speed of
                 6Mbps.  The following table shows the legal transmit rate
                 settings and the corresponding transmit speeds:

                       TX rate     NIC speed
                       1           Fixed Low (1Mbps)
                       2           Fixed Standard (2Mbps)
                       3           Auto Rate Select (High)
                       4           Fixed Medium (4Mbps)
                       5           Fixed High (6Mbps)
                       6           Auto Rate Select (Standard)
                       7           Auto Rate Select (Medium)

But, as you can see, there is no mention of the value "8" anywhere here...

So what is it??!

If it matters, my network is composed entirely of Bronze Turbo cards (6
Mbit, no encryption), all of which are upgraded to the latest firmware
(7.something).

Any advice welcome.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>     | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!