Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 13:38:55 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting xfce4 reboots machine
References:  <CAFuo_fzDHFvm8Mg9nKZmyLTF-X50BwH7hC1_=LpXTSb%2BaGnKbg@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1205280838080.54619@wonkity.com> <CAFuo_fzP-dcqztsZz65WFaV=sB-qyuZevK6p6=LHx7Voxp4v_w@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuo_fz4qSYtEZ0wcLNa%2BpU1s5H4fVtaq1v6Trq-7HN5bOQ=CA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuo_fzD2y5EPReTrSA-fsycxXEBErxvExz4=xsPu9GRfrk6DQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAO6-GAczcfY2MVcC76vtxiGgPO6XsEXz-W3cLUK9t45NLddGQg@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuo_fz49zSSshZWPVS0jL%2B2f1QLk8xqCYMAvduszttO1QuY%2BQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Jun 3, 2012 9:52 AM, "Waitman Gobble" <gobble.wa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Joe Gain <joe.gain@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
wrote:

There's

like snap

http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?category=graphics&port=cairo&files=yes&message_id=201205260354.q4Q3sBOI042864@repoman.freebsd.org
>> --
>> joe gain
>>
>> jacob-burckhardt-str. 16
>> 78464 konstanz
>> germany
>>
>> +49 (0)7531 60389
>>
>> (...otherwise in ???)
>

> Hi,
>
> I think I finally got to the bottom of my instant rebooting issue. I did
a csup and rebuilt world/kernel, but doing a pkg_add or running xfce4 would
still reboot the machine. This morning I scoured my logs and found one
message that lead me to solution: bad dir ino xxxx AT OFFSET xxx: MANGLED
ENTRY.

> It looks like on my machine that /var/tmp got wrecked, the fsck on boot
wasn't catching it.

>  I booted into single user mode and ran fsck -y a few times, the second
time it skipped the journal to do a 'regular fsck' (maybe there is a switch
to force it to skip the journal anyway?). w/o Journal it picked up the
inode problems and fixed.. then mounted drive rw and deleted stuff in
/var/tmp

>  pkg_add works fine now, i haven't tried xfce4 yet but i bet it's going
to work.

> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

I updated to xfce4.10 using amd64 packages and everything seems to work,
except for some reason "startxfce4" is missing.... but i can get it to
start fine by putting "exec xfce4-session" in my .xinitrc.. anyone else
experience this issue?

Thanks,

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California US