Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 02:52:56 +0930
From:      Wincent Colaiuta <wincentcolaiuta@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security fixes

El Tuesday, 2 July, 2002, a las 05:37  AM, Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.=20
escribi=F3:

> Some people read the warning about -STABLE in
> the Handbook (that I quoted earlier) and decide only
> to run -RELEASE and patch security fixes, and
> there is a cvs tag for this, called RELENG_4_x.
> This is where a little confusion comes in, because
> after a while they quit patching the older releases.

So on production systems track RELENG_4_6 now, and when that stops being=20=

updated, start tracking RELENG_4_7, and so on.... I can't see any=20
problems with that. That way you're tracking the security fixes and=20
critical patches, and then when you need to you're upgrading your entire=20=

system in safe way.

I think the advice to not track STABLE on production machines is good.=20=

Sure, STABLE is mostly exactly that: STABLE. But there are always going=20=

to be exceptions... The last thing you want is a machine that won't boot=20=

after something went wrong and you have to pay $$$ to get access to the=20=

datacentre and rescue the machine...

Cheers
Wincent