Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:42:34 -0800
From:      Carl Reisinger <cer@mirapoint.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Carl Reisinger <cer@mirapoint.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing > 64KB records to SCSI Tape, FreeBSD 4.1 (?)

>I believe that's pretty close to what an Adaptec 1542 can
handle, so that's
>why we've left it at that size.  (From a CAM standpoint
that is.)

I haven't laid hands or eyes on a 1542 in nearly 8 years.
But from watching this list it seems a fair number of people
have cards that I haven't seen in years.

>I would suggest just bumping si_iosize_max up to 128K in
your copy of the
>sa(4) driver and see if that does the trick.

That's what I would like to do, but my knowledge of the sa
driver, and FreeBSD drivers in general, is slim.

Since sending my original message I have spent more time
looking over the code. If I understand things correctly the
dev parameter to saopen is actually a pointer to a specinfo
structure and I can just change the value of si_iosize_max
in saopen. True?

If I want to get real fancy I can set si_iosize_max in
samount after the max record size supported by the drive is
found. (use the min of MAXPHYS and the drive max)

(Now if there was a way to query the HBA for its max
transfer size).

The good news, for me, is that the controllers I need to
support is very limited. aic7899 and a few Symbios
controllers. The aic7899 seems to handle 16MB transfers.
Don't know about the Symbios chips.

>> NOTE: While most of the kernel is based on 4.1-STABLE, I
>> believe the CAM subsystem and scsi_sa has been lifted
from
>> 4.3. (The behaviour is the same under 4.5)
>
>Sounds "interesting". :)

We try to limit "changes", but every so often we need a fix
from a later release. And sometimes that involves back
porting a fair amount of code. I forget what the 4.1 CAM
problem was that caused us to pull in the 4.3 code.

Carl