Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:21:28 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Michael Lea <mlea@atomicbluebear.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>, Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security settings documentation

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:24:33PM -0600, Michael Lea wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > Then write up some documentation for us and send it to doc@freebsd.org
>
> Somewhat terse, but here's a little "feature" matrix:
>
>                Fascist        High           Moderate       Low
> inetd          NO             NO             YES            YES
> sendmail       NO             YES            YES            YES
> sshd           NO             YES            YES            YES
> portmap        NO             NO             *              YES
> nfs_server     NO             NO             **             ***
> securelevel    YES (2)        YES (1)        NO             NO
Noooooooooooooooo!

Setting securelevel is silly. We're just going to get a _lot_ of
people wondering why they can't install a new kernel, load kernel
modules, set ipfw rules sending messages to -questions, etc. But
their boxes really aren't that much more secure. Without setting quite
a few files schg, it does not really add much security.

Effectively implementing securelevel(8) is non-trivial. Anyone who can
do it is more than capable of figuring out how to turn it on.

As for the other stuff, kewl.