Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:55:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror))

On Sunday, 21 October 2001 at 21:31:44 +0200, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
> On  Sunday, October 21, 2001 17:47, Stephen McKay wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh? And what "atrocities" have Jews "contined to commit" in the
>>> name of their religion?
>>
>> Well, for a start, the Israeli Government's policy of assassinating
>> Palestinians it doesn't like.  I really can't understand how their
>> politicians can get up on TV and complain about Palestinian terrorism
>> as if they don't use exactly the same methods themselves.
>>
>> Or are you suggesting they do this purely secularly, without religious
>> connotations?  That's a subtle point in these times.
>
> I'll take on that as I probably have more information on this then
> you guys.  Fighting terror is a hard problem in modern day and age
> as many facilities and strategies that we're developed for all-out
> army war are almost irrelevant.

Agreed.

> A very good solution that can be applied in small territories such
> as Israel is getting *a lot* of Intel on *known* targets and
> "eliminating" them.  Yes, people are being killed. Yes, *all* of
> them are terrorists.

Including the babies?

> No, these are not the same methods as the terrorist's. An army can't
> send suicide bombers to explode themselves amidst a crowd of
> civilians.

That's only one form of terrorism, one that is still relatively
uncommon.  How does shooting Palestinian representatives differ from
shooting Israeli representatives?  The fact that they've killed
innocent people is not a differentiator: Sharon has done that.

> You have question the "target acquiring" process. The process in
> which it's decided to level this or the other individual. I dare you
> to find one declared "target" who has not earned that title.

Some of those babies taken in collateral damage?

> Comparing the Israeli tactics with the American tactic, which failed
> miserably in Vietnam and in the Gulf war, I think "elimination" of
> selected individuals is much more humane and less prone to hurt
> bystanders.  It seems absurd to compare the Israeli "eliminations"
> to terrorists activity,

It seems completely obvious.  It's fighting terrorists with their own
weapons.

> it is a controlled-army action against proven terrorists.

Does the Palestinian Authority agree?  It's not proof unless all
involved people agree.

> It's as if I was comparing the American activities in Afghanistan,
> which undoubtedly are *meant* to protect Americans, to terrorists
> activity.

No, the American activities in Afghanistan are not terrorism, they
would be conventional warfare if the US had declared war.  As you
observe above, they might be more successful if they adopted terrorist
tactics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not siding with the terrorists.  But the
general view of most people on this list is so biased to their own
point of view that they can't even begin to see the other side.  If
people would understand *why* these people are attacking them, they'd
be in a better position to stop things happening.  And they won't do
that by trying to blast them out of existence.  The best way of
fighting these problems is to eliminate their cause.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.