Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:27:58 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD to use the NEW pf syntax. (Copied from freebsd-pf)

--------------enigA6FCD05271D63D8A69A7B964

On 11/20/12 11:43, Olivier Smedts wrote:
> 2012/11/20 Paul Webster <paul.g.webster@googlemail.com>:
>> I am aware this is a much discussed subject since the upgrade of PF, I=

>> believe the final decision was that to many users are used to the old
>> style pf and an upgrade to the new syntax would cause to much confusio=
n.
>=20
> But a change like this is expected in a new major branch, ie.
> 10-CURRENT. Not so in -STABLE branches of course. I don't see the
> problem here.
>=20
> Cheers
>=20

What would be the alternative? Being stuck with the old PF?  As Olivier
Smedts said, changes like that are expected in a complete new branch. If
people need to stay compatible, they are about to use 9.X as long as
they have migrated. The downside is more work. The bright side would be
development/progression.

oh