Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:04:37 -0800
From:      "Renaud Waldura" <renaud@waldura.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ISP2150 Dedicated Disk Issue

I found this thread in the mailing-list archives:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1786619+1790694+/usr/local/www/d
b/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000716.freebsd-questions

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1904625+1908565+/usr/local/www/d
b/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000716.freebsd-questions

It mentions problems with "dangerously dedicated" disks in the Intel ISP2150
2U rackmount box. This very same problem has bitten me when upgrading ours
with IBM Ultrastar 36XP drives (DRHS 36D).

Basically the machine won't boot at all (it dies right before the boot0
stage?) whenever this disk is partitioned in "dangerously dedicated"
fashion. It doesn't even need to be the boot drive, just having present in
the machine is enough.

Solution: partition the disk with fdisk ("fdisk -BI" was the exact
incantation I believe) to create a "true partition entry", and then
disklabel it. One more argument in favor of non-DD disks.

On one machine I've got a Seagate 2Gb also, DD-partitioned. It works fine,
the problem is only with IBM drives (or maybe drives > a specific size?).
The box is running BIOS 12.3, with all the latest firmware stuff. Maybe I
should mention this to Intel.

--Renaud