Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:20:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        David Greenman <root@implode.root.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP on sup.freebsd.org

> 	(1)  CVSup, being written in Modula3, requires the importation
> 		of a *GIANT*, *BLOATED* language subsystem, which is not
> 		currently a standard part of FreeBSD (nor should it be).

Yarrgggh.  Why does this keep coming up once a week, like clockwork? :-(
Maybe we need to post a CVSup FAQ to -hackers once a week, just
as preventive medicine.

As has been stated oh-so-many-times before, the package versions in
ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup make it thoroughly unnecessary to
build CVSup from the port, and in fact I've only done so once (just
out of interest) since I started BETA testing the very earliest
versions of CVSup.  Install the binary distributions, be happy, don't
even worry about the implementation language!

> Given the above problems, it's no surprise that people have not flocked
> in droves to CVSup.

Actually, the binary dists make it phenominally easy to switch, and
John has referred to them at least 4 or 5 times (*at least*) in very
public postings.  The bigger problem is simply that people aren't
reading anymore. :-(

						Jordan