Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:17:23 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        hartzell@alerce.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Advice

--nextPart2552340.nhHxSF47av

> Or, it could be that a UIO slot is specifically a PCI-Ex8 slot?  You
> can buy risers that convert "1U PCI-E (x16) to 1 UIO and 1 PCI-E "

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/UIO_cards.cfm

This one actually says in the clear:

  "8-Lane PCI-Express interface (Supermicro UIO slot)"

My guess is one of the following:

* It means nothing but "PCI-E", and the UIO stuff is just marketing BS.

* It means "extra PCI-E", and the UIO stuff is just marketing BS.

* (Based on the grapical animation on the UIO page) They actually do have a=
=20
special slot on their motherboard for use with their special UIO card which=
=20
then provides a few extra PCI-E slots. The mentioning of UIO on pages=20
describing standard PCI-E cards is just marketing BS resulting from the=20
technically correct fact that they can be used with their UIO card.

If I don't find specific information to the contrary I'll probably chance i=
t=20
and see.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller