Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:08:04 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org>
To:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl way too slow

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:49:07PM +1200, Atom Smasher wrote:
>> the same info is available on linux via /sys and /proc and on
>> comparable hardware, i can get the info about 100x faster.
>
> Are you sure that Linux is not just caching the data? I know of at least
> one system where it takes more than 100ms to query the battery state due
> to extremely slow hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if you can do worse.
==============

i don't know if linux is caching it. if it is, then freebsd should at
least have an option to do the same. the real test will be trying linux on
the freebsd hardware and freebsd on the linux hardware. i don't know when
i'll get a chance to do it, but i'll update the list with details when it
happens.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"Anyone who doubts that terrorists could smuggle a
 	 nuclear warhead into New York City should note that
 	 they could always wrap it in a bale of marijuana."
 		-- Graham Allison, The Boston Globe 27 October 1999