Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 13:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        D.A.Clear@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear)
Cc:        freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD read DAT tapes written from Solaris?

> Hi,
>
> I've written a DAT tape on a Solaris 2.3 machine using the
> device /dev/rmt/0lbn which 'mt status' calls a:
> "Archive Python 4mm Helical Scan tape drive".
>
> According to the manual page, the 'l' in '0lbn' means 'Standard format'
> ie no compression - I figured this was the safest bet.
>
> My question:  Will a FreeBSD machine with a DAT drive be able to read
> this tape?  Does it have to be a special DAT drive?  I've just tried it
> in a BSDI machine we have here and it failed with 'Short read'.
It should be able to read the tape
you may however have to adjust the blocklength for the device
(using mt -f /dev/rst0 blocksize xxxxx)
or maybe even set it to variable mode (xxxxx = 0)

if yo do, then your READ must be the same size as the writes on
the writer..
or larger.. you can experiment using dd

dd if=/dev/rst0 of=/tmp/xxx bs=64k count=1
will read a single block from tape,
and you can then look at /tmp/xxx to see how large a tape block is on the tape.

alternatively, you should be able to do a small read, and the error
message should make it clear what the record size should have been set to..
(that's if it's variable mode)
If the tape is in fixed mode, you  may be able to see using mt status
butif not, just keep adjusting the recordsize using 'mt'
through all the likely sizes.. 512, 1024, 2048 4096....