Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:00:12 +0100
From:      Marco Trentini <mark@remotelab.org>
To:        Louis Munro <louismunro@altern.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xinerama setup on kde 3.1.4

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:06:57PM -0500, Louis Munro wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to setup KDE to display in full xinerama on my new computer. I have
> an nvidia GFX5600 which is capable of displaying on two monitors (I've got
> it working with windows Xp) but I can't seems to get it right on FreeBSD:
> X only displays on one monitor and just blanks out the other. So I have a few
> questions:
> --Do I have to compile Xfree86 with some special arguments to enable xinerama?
> I installed it from the cd (4.9 stable, world remade about a week ago).
> --Does KDE 3.1.4 support xinerama? Do I have to do anything special to enable
> it?
> --I haven't found all that much information about configuring xinerama. Have I
> missed anything?
>
> I'm appending my XFree86config so you guys can tell me if it's something in
> there that's incorrect.

The freebsd port nvidia-driver provides a better driver
support that XFree86 to many nvidia card.
It supports also TWINVIEW:

<from README>
TwinView is a mode of operation where two display devices (digital
flat panels, CRTs, and TVs) can display the contents of a single X screen
in any arbitrary configuration.  This method of multiple monitor use
has several distinct advantages over other techniques (such as Xinerama):

  o A single X screen is used.  The NVIDIA driver conceals all
    information about multiple display devices from the X server; as
    far as X is concerned, there is only one screen.

  o Both display devices share one frame buffer.  Thus, all the
    the functionality present on a single display (e.g. accelerated
    OpenGL) is available on TwinView.

  o No additional overhead is needed to emulate having a single
    desktop.
</from README>

--
Marco Trentini                mark@remotelab.org