Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:27:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
To:        hugh@island.net.au (Hugh Blandford)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Stats program for Virtual Servers

Well I was using a custom in house app based on PHP, mysql and perl...
Basically I had a perl script that parsed the daily logs (local machine,
nfs, whatever) and stuffed them into a DB..  The DB's primary index was
on vhost and I had a user->vhost lookup so that when people logged in
(via apache/PHP/mysql auth) they only saw thier vhosts's stats.  This let
me do things like - select referer from vhost where url = "blah" and what
not...  and date selects, etc...

It grew to be overly large, so I was thinking about doing multiple
indirection so I would have a url table and the actual hit table would
just contain pointers to the actual url, and same for some other fields
(vhost, ??) to help cut the size...  Of course this would add more
processing on the front and back end.  I also was starting to play with
GD graphing through PHP on the selects.

This isn't to hard to hack together and you can customize it however you
want.  The downside is that its slower than hell (well I did get it to
perform ok), and sucks hard drive space.  Up side is that the customers
are very stoked at the way cool nifty features that are just about
impossible to do any other way.

I can give you the perl->mysql parser (*warning* its lame), but the PHP
code is pretty mangled at this point as its suffering a re-write and the
original has been taken offline.

> Hi all,
>
> just wondering what people are using for web statistics when it comes to
> handling a number of virtual webservers.
>
> Is there a program that you can just point to the webserver logfiles?  Are
> people keeping multiple logfiles for each server or one large logfile for
> all and creating the stats for all sites creating different pages etc?
>
> How are people reporting on outbound limits that they might have put in
> place for various web customers?
>
> Thanks for the opinions.
>
> Hugh

Ryan Mooney           Phone (602)265-9188         PCSLink
ryan@pcslink.com                            Internet Services
 NT is an excellent choice for managers who need to show that they used
 up their fiscal year budget for hardware/software expenditures.