Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:30:05 +0000 ()
From:      Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ahhhh More pkg_add problems

Hello,

I am attempting to create a package containing software I wrote for easy
installation. The problem is that my package requires another package to
be installed. I use the @pkgdep statement in the packing list to state the
dependancy.

When I try to install my package and I don't have the package my package
depends on installed, it installs anyway, but gives me an error (kind of)
like this:

/var/spool/db/pkg/<name>/+REQUIRED BY not found

I was wondering:

1) Is there a way that I can say the dependant package _must_ be installed
first, or otherwise abort the installation..

  and

2) (somewhat unrelated0 is there a way that I can abort the install based
on the return value of a shell script? For example, I tried:

@exec /usr/bin/false

as the second line of my packing list, and upon installation it gave me an
error saying this failed (of course), but installation continued. I would
like to say something like:

This software will overwrite your sendmai configuration.. Do you wish to
proceed? (Y/N), and if the user says N, the package installation aborts.
Is this possible without hacks?

Tim
---
Tim Pushor                         Orion Technologies Inc.
Technical Director                 Phone: (403) 284-0042
timp@orion.ab.ca                   support@orion.ab.ca
http://www.orion.ab.ca/~timp       http://www.orion.ab.ca

     "communication leadership through innovation"