Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 07:47:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcnfsd..

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Paul Richards wrote:

> > It makes enabling it in /etc/sysconfig a one step operation.  I can
> > live with it being a two-stepper, but I can't always count on access
> > to the package collection.. :-(
> >

> It's not a good idea to try and have evey possible package that people
> might want to use configured from /etc/sysconfig.

I think, too, it might be too large. Then you create nearly such a
monster like Windows win.ini, you know that ? ;-)

Ok, sysconfig is very very better documented ! But too large is
perhaps a bad idea.

> I'm not happy about
> apache being started from /etc/rc for example. This just isn't the
> way things should be. The "system" startup configuration should only
> deal with the core functionality that every unix box needs to run.
> Stuff that only particular sites would use should use some other mechanism.

I like the SYSVR4 mechanism of having a generic /etc/init.d
and /etc/rc1.d /etc/rc2.d ...

You know that ???

Then you could relatively easy add start an kill scripts into init.d
via a port configure script. This script will be linked into the
suitable runlevel directory as a start or kill script ...

What about a hack in /etc/rc.local, to look into a /etc/addon-services
directory, where script files reside to start additional services ?

rc.local:
	if [ -d /etc/addon-services ]; then
		cd /etc/addon-services
		for i in *
		do
			/bin/sh $i
		done
	fi

/etc/addon-services/inn
/etc/addon-services/apache
/etc/addon-services/...

Or something similar. Then you would'n need to poke around in a
file like /etc/rc.local. You could very simple add a script into
that directory ...

> If you want to make it easy to configure pcnfsd then all you do is add
> a default startup file to the package and when you run pkg_add it just
> appears on the next reboot as though it was part of the system.

Well, it would really be a good idea, that the packages would be
reworked to install really smart ... This means, that
system files like /etc/services or /etc/inetd.conf are updated
by an postinstallation script, so that the package is really
ready to work !

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -