Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 17:36:06 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        didier@aida.remcomp.fr, FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cdev major number for a cyrix driver

<<On Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:25:26 -0800 (PST), Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com> said:

> Garrett, this is unfair.  We have a guy at hand who wants to write some
> code.  You should be able to tell him where you >as the sysctl architect<
> see that code in the sysctl namespace.

And what I'm telling you is that I am not the bloody sysctl architect!
I've done a lot of work on implementing various pieces of it, and if
he wants to use devconf, it might spur me into writing the man page
I've been meaning to explaining how, but I don't have time to make
what should be obvious judgment calls for every Joe who wants to add a
new MIB variable.  There Is No One True Way.  Use YOUR judgment, think
a little about how YOU think it would make the most sense, and I'll
thank you for your effort.

Depending on the internal design of the driver, it would either make
sense to define a whole cluster of MIB variables in the machdep area,
or to define a single structure which is part of the device-dependent
section of the CPU's devconf structure (which hasn't yet been
implemented, but should be for MP systems in any case).  I haven't
seen the code in question, so it's unreasonable to ask me to come up
with an answer blind, and after seeing it, either answer may STILL be
reasonable.

I would suggest that the original author implement the ioctl()
approach and then when it's integrated and we are in the 2.2 cycle,
the question can be revisited as a part of an overall device
configuration strategy.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.