Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:11:27 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WWN

It=E2=80=99s been inertia from the hardware standpoint.  SATA was =
notorious for having unusable WWNs, serial numbers, etc.  It=E2=80=99s =
also been complicated by the varying quality of SATL and SATA-pass-thru =
implementations  in controllers (i.e. LSI).  The Spectra guys probably =
have a lot of good experience to share here.

Keep VM=E2=80=99s in mind though.  Emulated environments don=E2=80=99t =
always try very hard to generate unique IDs for storage.  It might be =
possible to heuristically figure out what kind of environment the system =
is in and whether the IDs are dependable.

Scott

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 11:47 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
> Is there a reason we don't rely primarily on WWN changing to detect a =
disk change at a particular location? I know it's not universally =
available, but anything made in the last 15 or 20 years should have one =
if my research is correct... Or is this just a case of inertia?
>=20
> I'm looking at making ahci a little more resilient to transient =
outages, and thought it might be best to key primarily off this and =
secondarily off other changed information when that's not available. If =
I had a WWN, then I'd know the disk that was gone for 500ms is the same =
one and I could resume its operations and still detect that someone =
unplugged drive A and plugged in drive B.