Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:16:26 +0000
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using irq 16

* Chris Faulhaber (jedgar@fxp.org) wrote:

> While setting up an new SMP box (Intel OCPRF100-based), I find that
> while the USB controller is using irq 16:
>
> IOAPIC #0 intpin 49 -> irq 16
> uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0x1820-0x183f irq 16 at device 15.2 on pci0
>
> rndcontrol(8) will not let me add it to the entropy pool:
>
> $ sudo rndcontrol -s 16
> rndcontrol: setting irq 16
> rndcontrol: rndcontrol: Invalid argument

I have the same thing with a SCSI controler.  A search threw up a
similar problem on Alpha, with someone trying to use IRQ 20 - the
reply was effectively "This has changed loads, so it won't be fixed in
-STABLE".

rndcontrol also lacks things like listing devices adding to the pool,
and stats on the pool, which, for example, NetBSD's rndctl(8) provides.
That also uses device names over IRQ's, which is much nicer than using
IRQ numbers imo.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/