Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:49:01 +0400
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/132615: [patch] x11/libX11: work aroung parsing bug in Bash 4.0

Stanislav, good day.

> Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 20:10 +0000, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> >  I'd say that 45 seconds (24.5%) speedup worth some patching.
> >
> >  Any thoughts 'bout this?
>
> I think we could try to replace the libtool by our own stripped-down
> implementation that will be even simpler than dolt. If dolt is able to
> reduce the compilations speed by about one forth, then with a FreeBSD
> specific libtool replacement the imporvement may be even better.

Well, dolt replaces only the 'compile' mode of libtool and doltcompile
is a rather simple script that isn't specific to any operating system,
it just needs Linux, FreeBSD or Darwin.  The script is small and most of
speedup lives here -- libtool is an enormous beast that checks a load of
things and spawns many external tools.  So, for the compilation mode,
the only thing to do is to try to replace Bash script dolt with native
executable and try to estimate gains.  Will try to play with this.

As to the other modes, libtool is still used, no magic here.  And here
we can do something beefy, because, once again, libtool is an enormous
beast.  Will try to draft something as well.

> As a benefit we can also stop installing .la and .a library files.

.la -- may be.  But why do you want to eradicate .a's?  People should
still be able to link in libraries statically, aren't they?
--
Eygene