Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:35:05 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended gmirror solution with swap?

--5QAgd0e35j3NYeGe

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:01:37AM -0800, R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr> wrote:
> > Gary Palmer wrote:
> >=20
> > > Except in the case where a drive holding some swapped out memory goes=
 bad
> > > and the system panics or crashes as a result.  It might not make as
> > > much sense for desktops, but if I were (still) building servers I'd
> > > mirror everything that the system depended on to run.
> >=20
> > Well, yes... though the "only" things lost in this case are the
> > processes using the swap :) But you're right in the general case.
> >=20
> Hmm... I wonder what gmirror is good for, when one of its consumers fails=
=2E..
>=20
> I just setup this test setting:
> 1. gnop on ad0s1gd
> 2. gmirror on ad0s1gd.nop (hardcoded (-h)) and ad0s1ge
> 3. dd (writes from /dev/urandom to the mirror)
> 4. gnop configure -v -f 100 ad0s1gd.nop
> 5. dd becomes unresponsive; CTRL+t says:
> load: 0.78  cmd: dd 11034 [physwr] 0.01u 0.68s 0% 612k

I can't reproduce it. What block size did you use for dd(1)?  I did a
lot of testing in the past with gmirror/graid3 and gnop(8), actually,
this is why I implemented gnop(8) in the first place.  If it doesn't
work, it's a bug in gmirror, but I can't reproduce it with quite recent
current. From what I see you're not using recent current, because there
is no '-f' option for gnop(8) anymore, but it should also work with
RELENG_6, so more info which will allow me to reproduce the problem
would be helpful.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--5QAgd0e35j3NYeGe