Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:39:51 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Chris Petrik <cpet@sdf.org>, Franci Nabalanci <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

--------------enigE4F99329E32F8C0974694703

On 12/12/2012 17:38, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> If you use pkgng, please try editing /usr/local/sbin/pkg_libchk to
> replace "pkg_info" with "pkg info" in all locations and let me know
> how it works, . I'm hoping that will make it work with pkgng, but I
> have no way to check as I can't currently use pkgng on any of my
> systems, yet.

I'd like to draw people's attention to one of the newer capabilities of
pkgng as it's directly relevant to this problem.  You can use pkgng to
track which shared libraries are used by binaries in all packages.
Shared library use is determined by analysing the dynamic loading
information recorded in ELF binaries -- either executables or shared
libraries -- so it's pretty reliable.

The feature is turned off by default, but you can enable it by adding:

SHLIBS: YES

to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkg.conf and then generate the shlib info by:

pkg check -Ba

This will take a while on a system with lots of packages installed: it
will investigate every file installed by every package.  If you aren't
using a repo where the shlibs function is enabled, you'll have to use
pkg check thike this on any new pkgs you subsequently install.

Then, for example, you can find all the pkgs with files that link
against, say, libssh2 by:

worm:~:% pkg query -a "%n-%v %B" | grep libssh2
curl-7.24.0_1 libssh2.so.1

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20