Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 04:21:28 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding my CDRW device to k3b

--nextPart1823509.jIbvDFiuOb

On Friday, 22. April 2005 03:35, Danny Pansters wrote:
> OK, let it be clear that the cdrdao thing is a problem of the software
> itself (as in: not needed to be root if done right), but certainly for us
> with devfs and proper permissions and group membership this can be solved
> without any problems or upstream changes. I can burn CDs alright but the
> GUI throws the warning nonetheless (simply because of cdrdao not being su=
id
> root? -- suid root shouldn't be needed at all).

Only if cdrdao is suid root, it can set itself to realtime priority during=
=20
burning, which is a feature. This used to be more important back when the=20
machines were slower and buffer underruns meant burning coasters. You can=20
turn off the permissions check (and all other similar checks) with k3b's=20
options, Misc tab, Check system configuration checkbox.

> I recently discovered another problem with k3b: Try to burn a 5.4-RC3 iso
> with it. Booting off it wouldn't work, and after pulling out a modest
> amount of hair I mounted the CD, and yes, there was one single file called
> blah.iso on the CD :)

And you're sure you used the Tools/CD/Burn CD Image menu to do that?

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org