Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:09:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        oldman@internet1.net (Matthew Hagerty)
Subject:   Re: PCI network card config

Matthew Hagerty is responsible for:
> Greetings,
>
>     I am trying to configure a generic PCI NE2000 compatible network card
> on an Intel Venus MB with a Pentium-Pro 150.  The version of FreeBSD is
> 2.1.6. (from a CD-ROM).
>
>     What should the device be?  I would assume ed0 since it is NE2000, but
> how do I set the IRQ and base address?  The IRQ might change if I add or
> remove any other PCI cards and there does not seem to be any way for me to
> set the base address of the card (i.e. the set-up disk that came with the
> card does not provide any way to view or set a familiar address such as
> 0x300h.)  I thought PCI cards did not need this type of set-up??  Can PCI
> based NE2000 compatible cards be used with FreeBSD, or are only certain PCI
> network cards supported?
>
>     Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
>
> Matthew Hagerty
> oldman@internet1.net

I was using a PCI NE2000 card with FreeBSD 2.1.6 (I'm now up to 2.2)
and I needed to do the following to make it work:
1) Install the card
2) Use the software with the card to figure out what it's irq and i/o
   port are.  My card's software told me that it was irq 10 and i/o
   port 0xef80.
3) If installing for the first time, boot the disk.  If you are adding
   this card to an existing system, type
	-c
   at the Boot: prompt.
4) Select the non-visual configuration if using the boot disk.  If
   booting your existing system, I believe that this is the default.
5) Set the i/o port and irq for ed0 by typing
	irq ed0 10
	port ed0 0xef80
   Of course, use whatever numbers your card's software gave you in
   step 2.
6) type q and press enter to continue the installation/booting.  Your
   card should work.

If you are adding this card to a system with the kernel source, you
can set this stuff up in the kernel configuration file.  There is a
line like:
  device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
which you can change to
  device ed0 at isa? port 0xef80 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
Recompile your kernel, reboot, and call it a day.

Hope this helps.