Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 23:45:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-950928-SNAP now available for testing

    I'm going through the 2.1.0-950928-SNAP installation process right
now on a 486DX2/66 beside me.  So far, I'm even more impressed that I
was with the (then) revamped 2.0.5 installer.  :)

*  I like the newbie-friendly "Hit `A' to get default partition values
   for FreeBSD" in the slice editor.  It even puts in a decent amount
   of swap.  :)  What I'd like to see is default values supplied for
   mount points for manual installation, the way BSD/OS does it.  The
   first partition defaults to /, the second is swap, the third is
   /usr, the fourth is /var, the fifth is /home, etc.  Doesn't have
   to be in that order, but it would be a nice touch.

*  The information dialogs between each section of the Express
   installation is a great idea!  Again, more newbie-aware.  :)

*  I'm using the entire disk (a 540-meg Maxtor SCSI, noisy as hell,
   this thing), bypassing whatever sanity checks are in the BIOS,
   according to the warning.  I'll see how that works...

*  So far, not a single problem (almost done installing the kernel
   sources to disk via FTP)...

*  The timezone setting thing still doesn't seem right, for some
   reason... I'll have to go back and fiddle with it some more.  I
   usually just make the /etc/localtime link myself and let
   ntpdate/timed take care of the clock setting.

    No real problems that I can see on my first try with this
snapshot.  Nice work, Jordan.
--
Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
System Administrator, Internex Online Inc.