Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:13:17 -0500
From:      Julio Merino <jmmv@freebsd.org>
To:        NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Subject:   Re: help on testing for FreeBSD...

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
>> Garrett Cooper wrote this message on Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:25 -0700:
>>> - Why are they written in python?
>>
>> Because I'm too lazy to write code in C...  I had already written
>> framework code in Python, and C doesn't have a standard function to
>> decode hex.. :)  And error handling it much easier in python...
>
> I ask because we don't have a means for doing unittest level execution
> right now and not being written in something that's in base or
> installed automatically (perl for instance) would mean that your test
> code wouldn't be run by default on jenkins runs.

There are ways around this.

pyUnit test programs are simple executables that return 0 on success
and 1 on failure, so they can work with the "plain" interface of Kyua.
We can then mark the test program as requiring python in the Kyuafile,
just as we already do for some in-tree perl-based test programs.

And then, we can tell whichever driver we are using to set up the test
VMs to "pkg install python" right before running the test suite. We do
this already, at least from autotest, to install perl and other
required utilities. I'm sure we'd do the same for the Jenkins case.