Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:34:20 +0300
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        "'Vadim Yu. Vaganov'" <bond@sttec.yar.ru>
Subject:   RE: Moving to FreeBSD (Advise needed)

> From: Vadim Yu. Vaganov [mailto:bond@sttec.yar.ru]
>
> We are planning to move to FreeBSD from MS Windows 2K, but have some
> problems.
> At this time we are using MS Exchange Server 5.5 as mail server and MS
> Outlook 97/98/2K
> as mail clients at workstations. This combination supports
> IMAP protocol
> with users task requesting,
> common folders support (made by Visual Basic).
> Is were any appropriate alternative of this Windows solution
> on FreeBSD
> systems?
> If no, then what painless solution can you offer?
> At this moment this incompatibility is the last obstacle on our way to
> FreeBSD.

There are IMAP clients available - eg, Netscape Communicator. I tested this
combination (bsd+netscape imap/ ms exchage). All folders (including public
folders) are visible, as standard messages folders. So, the mails are
available 100%, but from folders containing shit like "contacts", "journal"
etc you won't get big deal.

Btw, if you are planning to move to FreeBSD, why don't you move you mail
server too ?

Hmm .. as far as I remember, there is an webmail service built into
exchange.
Did you think about this possibility ?

Stefan