Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 22:13:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Device Problems

I compiled a new kernel with ProAudio Spectrum 16 and soundblaster
stuff in it.  The PAS factory default is irq 7; Soundblaster part of
card uses irq 5.  These are also the irq's used by my two parallel
ports, so I used "conflicts" and the options to allow conflicts etc.
in the kernel.  I did this quite carefully, reading all the documents
as I went along and even changing the defaults in one of the *.h
files before compiling.

The new kernel booted just fine.  I downloaded some *.au files
and tried
cat test.au > /dev/pcaudio
and got "device not configured."  Tried /dev/speaker with the same
result.  With cat test.au > dev/nca0, it sent the file to the printer.

I disabled lpt0 and lpt1 with userconfig, i.e., booting kernel -c.
I tried some of the other devices associated with sound (pas0, nca4,
sb0); the test.au file overwrote the devices.  I tried MAKEDEV but it
didn't work; I couldn't find information about the major and minor
numbers for the devices I wanted to recreate in any documentation,
so couldn't create them by hand with mknod.

So I recompiled the kernel, hoping the devices would be created in
this process.  Instead, the old devices (and the overwritten ones)
are still there, but there is a whole slew of new devices associated
with sound.

Not wanting to overwrite the device files again without a backup,
I created /dev/bak and tried copying (while in X) all the device
files in /dev to /dev/bak.  I got some messages on wd* devices
"device not configured" (the hard drives are SCSI)
and eventually things stopped without exiting.  Some new devices
may have been created in this process.  The only entry in /dev/bak
was var.  This I deleted and tried copying just one file, /dev/zero,
to /dev/bak.  This filled up the file system to 109%.  I finally
found the offending file and deleted it.

I tried to copy just the new device /dev/audio0 (to which /dev/audio
is now symbolically linked) to /dev/bak, but got a message
cp: /dev/audio0:  Interrupted system call.

Unquestionably I would have preferred to have this system backed up
long ago, but I am stilled puzzled about how to run the Colorado tape
drive with ft.

The system is 2.10 from the cdrom.

No doubt some time I will find this very funny, as you may well now.
Meanwhile I'm puzzled about not being able to make a copy of a device
file and getting them overwritten.

Any explanations of what I did wrong and what's going on would be
appreciated.

Annelise