Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:33:17 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Raimund Sacherer <rs@logitravel.com>
Subject:   Re: Network Interface name change

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 18:14:09 +0200 (CEST) Raimund Sacherer <rs@logitravel.com>
wrote

> Hello,
>
> We have one firewall (out of a cluster) in a very remote area and it displays
> erratic behaviour. On reboot, sometimes it initialises network port 0
> correctly and sometimes it does not.
>
> I firmly believe it has to do with the KVM port being active on port 0 and I
> had lot's of troubles with it (working/not working) so it's a gamble if port
> 0 can be initialised on reboot or not. And more often then not it doesn't
> come up correctly.
>
> When it does not work I get this in the boot log:
>
> em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.4.2> port 0xf060-0xf07f mem
> 0xf7c00000-0xf7c1ffff,0xf7c34000-0xf7c34fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
> em0: Using an MSI interrupt
> em0: Setup of Shared code failed
> device_attach: em0 attach returned 6
>

> My real problem is that once this happens the port which should be em1 will
> now be em0 and then all my port assignments don't work anymore. In
> anticipation of this possible error I configured the VLANs on the switches
> accordingly so at least I can get access to the firewall and can work on it,
> but I do not know how I can force e.g. that MAC XX is always em1 (or em2,
> em3) regardless of what the BIOS or the boot process think it should be.
>

> Thank you,
> Best
> Ray
Maybe just a shot in the dark; But will rc.conf(5) give it to you
via ifconfig(8)?

TL,DR:

The following options are available:

address
  For the DARPA-Internet family, the	address	is either a host name
  present in	the host name data base, hosts(5), or a	DARPA Internet
  address expressed in the Internet standard	``dot notation''.

  It	is also	possible to use	the CIDR notation (also	known as the
  slash notation) to	include	the netmask.  That is, one can specify
  an	address	like 192.168.0.1/16.

  For the ``inet6'' family, it is also possible to specify the pre-
  fix length	using the slash	notation, like ::1/128.	 See the
  prefixlen parameter below for more	information.

  The link-level (``link'') address is specified as a series	of
  colon-separated hex digits.  This can be used to e.g., set	a new
  MAC address on an ethernet	interface, though the mechanism	used
  is	not ethernet-specific.	If the interface is already up when
  this option is used, it will be briefly brought down and then
  brought back up again in order to ensure that the receive filter
  in	the underlying ethernet	hardware is properly reprogrammed.

address_family
  Specify the address family	which affects interpretation of	the
  remaining parameters.  Since an interface can receive transmis-
  sions in differing	protocols with different naming	schemes, spec-
  ifying the	address	family is recommended.	The address or proto-
  col families currently supported are ``inet'', ``inet6'',
  ``atalk'',	``ipx'', and ``link''.	The default if available is
  ``inet'' or otherwise ``link''.  ``ether''	and ``lladdr'' are
  synonyms for ``link''.

Can't you lock it down, via ETHER?
Or maybe I don't fully understand what you're asking.

HTH

--Chris