Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 13:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stabikity/Usability of 2.0.5R

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > What a coincidence.  [ deletia ]  Same problems.

I recall having the same problem here recently with a wd 1007 and a
micropolis 1558.  About the same time summer hit with a vengance and
I retired the monsters until the weather cools... I do not have A/C
here in Hotlanta and they were starting to shutdown from the heat. :(

> Probably also an AT&T/NCR machine?

doityourself ASUS PVI-486AP4, award bios autodects it correctly.

> There is a jumper for "perfect media"... basically, self-replacement
> of bad sectors.  This is a geometry translation of a sort, but since
> it's BIOS only, I don't have it on.

I have no idea where the controller manual is ... don't know about
that jumper.  If you want me to try anything, tell me what.

Peter da Silva asks:

:> I have one question for these people installing FreeBSD on ESDI... how
:> is the drive formatted? Did you use the WD BIOS or something like
:> DiskManager?

I used the onboard WD bios long ago, then reformatted with the award
bios most recently... never diskmanager or the like.
--
Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!