Date:      11 Oct 2001 15:47:56 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> writes:

> 	I've used such cylinders in Oxyacetylene cutting torches, and
> 	brazing, but I don't recall them ever being able to generate
> 	enough heat to do proper welding.

I think enough heat is not the problem, but things like controllability
and impurities (eg, Oxygen, air) in the weld are the main reason for
using other technologies for common welding tasks.

Also, I'll bet a tank of compressed air is a lot cheaper than one of
either Oxygen or Nitrogen.  Anyone know if highly compressed air is
a dangerous fire hazard along the lines of Oxygen (but less so, of
course)?  Of course, in the application discussed, it would be reduced
in pressure very near the tank to the normal levels of the tool being
powered.

Also, does anyone know if different gases work better than others
(ignoring dangerousness) because of their different compressibilites?
(I'm not even sure what that means, but I know I can get more power
out of squeezed rubber than squeezed steel.)