Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:57:47 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Translation Adaptec 1542 versus NCR810

>> The NCR bios ought to use the values the drive
>> has been initialised with, if it has been used
>> with an Adaptec before. If its a clean install,

Is it as flexible as the BT445C?  I.e., does it guess a geometry from
whatever _valid_ values you put in the partition table?

>In that case, the   drive was out of  the  box, first configured  with  the
>geometry displayed by the drive and it  didn't boot. I  then took the total

Big drives are likely to have >= 64 sectors/track.  Don't even think about
using such a geometry.  It won't fit in the partition table and neither
BIOSes nor fdisks should allow you to specify it.

>number of sectors, divided by the values of sect/trk and heads displayed by
>"boot -v" and calculated the # of cylinders.

This should always work (except in 2.0.5 which displayed the wrong number
of heads and cylinders (off by one error)).

Bruce