Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 09:07:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Elya Kurktchi <kurktchi@qualcomm.com>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ph

sorry.

ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/local/packages/ph/qi-3.1b7.tar.gz

NAME
    ph -- access to the CSO Nameserver (on-line phone book)

DESCRIPTION
    Ph queries the CSO Nameserver, a database of University
    faculty, students and staff.  The database contains nearly
    all the information in the Student/Staff Directory (the
    University phone book), as well as other information, includ-
    ing electronic mail addresses.

For example, we have Ph implemented here on Solaris.  To find out about
an employee, we "ph" them:

tigerfish ~> ph sdorner
            empno: 1006
             name: Dorner, Steve
            email: sdorner
        extension: 14479
 other_extensions: 217-328-7564
              fax: (312) 416-7989
  office_location: (off site)
            title: VP, Technology
       department: 2790 - SW Engineering/Eudora
       supervisor: Blakeney, Rob

The only thing that I can offer in terms of compiling information is that
you may be able to patch it up to the point of compiling, but you will get
stuck on the lex part.  I've got an older version almost compiled except
it barfs on the lex part (lex -> flex v2.5.4).    This can be very useful
to ISP's and would help freebsd be a better POP3 mail server (since Eudora
has PH functionality as well as finger built into it already).  I use FBSD
3.0-971003-SNAP with about 7,250 users on one machine and when you finger
a user on that machine, it is rather slow; but Ph will provide more
information and is faster.

elya.