Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 18:54:50 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        jasper@ivision.co.uk (Jasper Wallace)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RiscCom N2x (srcx and srx drivers) probs with 2.2.1-RELEASE

> I'm trying to swap or gateway (an aging linux box) for a shiny new
> 2.2.1-RELEASE one the link is a BT NTU to a 64K line plugged into a
> RISCom/N2x card on the box.
>
> iv'e compiled a kernel with sppp and the sr driver - correct irq's etc the
> card probes fine and i can ifconfig it up etc.
>
> the problem comes when trying to persuade paclkets to go out of it - try as
> i might ping'ing or otherwise trying to utilise the line returns 'network is
> down' or 'host unreachable'
>
> i'm bringing it up like this
>
> ifconfig sr0 inet 194.207.1.2 netmask 0xfffffffc 194.207.1.1
>
> with 194.207.1.2 being the local end and 194.207.1.1 the remote one
>
> and routing something like this
>
> route add -net 194.207.1.0 -netmask 0xfffffffc -interface sr0

You shouldn't need to do this. After you have ifconfig'ed the interface
a route to the other side should be there.

After a few seconds do a ifconfig sr0 and see if the flags UP and RUNNING
are there. They should be there if the two machines understand each other.

> which pauses for ages before it goes through

This might be because of a dns lookup.

> and finally
>
> route add default 194.154.1.1
>
> ifconfig sr0 debug
>
> produced a regular stream of debugging output (presumably from the remote
> machine trying to talk to us)

Send me a piece of it and I will see if I can figure out what is wrong.

> the one thing i'm not 100% certain is weither we're ment to be using the ppp
> or HDLC protocols on the line - from what i can divilge from the linux box
> it's ppp (it was setup before my time and sadly lacks documentation) would
> using the wrong encapsulation protocol produce these symptoms? is there a
>  way to tell what the links using? any ideas?

If it is in the wrong mode and you have the debug flag switched on with
ifconfig, you should get a message that says you received a PPP packet
in Cisco mode or the other way around.

In PPP mode you should see a echo request and reply from each side every
few seconds if all is well.

> (the source used is straight 2.2.1-RELEASE - have there been any significant
> changes to the code since then?)

The code in the 2.2 tree hasn't changed as far as I know.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za