Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 20:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        avatar+pop3@kew.com
Subject:   Re: qpopper 4.0.2 vs 4.0.3

In article <028d01c0eded$075fba00$94cba8c0@xena>,
Drew Derbyshire <avatar+pop3@kew.com> wrote:
> Thanks for checking CVS directly.  I tend to blow my leg off when I dive
> into CVS, so I working via portcheckout.
>
> Looking at it ... portcheckout didn't get the new version  yet again.  So I
> did:
>
>     rm -fr ports/mail/qpopper/
>
> before running portcheckout and portcheckout then automatically retrieved
> the correct version.
>
> portcheckout may be relying on a inappropriate CVS tag on disk written when
> the tar ball (from the 4.3 ISO install image) was unpacked, but I can't
> figure out the details of how/what/where.  I tried
> portcheckout --release=HEAD on my second machine with the same (bad)
> results; I did the same "rm" and then as expected portcheckout got the new
> version.

I haven't used portcheckout before, but it does sound like something
is wrong there.  HEAD doesn't always do what is expected in CVS;
that could be part of it.  It sounds a lot like portcheckout set a
so-called "sticky date" or "sticky tag" when it checked out the files
originally.  Somebody else will have to debug this one, I'm afraid.  I
no speaka da perl.

> If not portcheckout, it must be a problem between my keyboard and chair.
> :-)

Hmm, or between your left and right ears, maybe. ;-) (Just kidding.)

John