Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:09:22 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Rezamys <rezath@tm.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade 3.1 release to 3.2 stable via CTM

> Rezamys wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for the mail. Actually I decided to install 3.1 release instead coz I
> see it's too much of trouble
> upgrading from 2.2.7 to 3.2 stable. Anyways I read alot bout doing CVSUP,
> make/build world n other stuff. most people do this way. Unfortunately I have
> terrible networks here so i decided to use CTM - took me 10 hours to
> download...
>
> I downloaded (via ftp) the "src-cur.3900xEmpty.gz" source as what I read in
> the complete freebsd book by greg lehey. It's about 52759KB.  My question,
> what next?
>
> The CTM article in Freebsd site is "not much" of coverage. Any suggestions?
>
> TQ

OK, I was able to get CTM to work, but not after a little trial and error.  I
agree that the documentation is not easy to follow.  But after it is mastered,
CTM is a very easy way to keep up with FreeBSD.

Now, I'm sorry to say that you got the wrong file.  Your file is pertinant to
CURRENT, and you want STABLE.

Look in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/src-3/ or a mirror of such.
Download src-3.0100xEmpty.gz and src-3.0101.gz to src-3.0181.gz (or whereever
it ends at).

Put these files in some directory, say ~me/xxx.

Now cd to the directory where you want to put the sources, lets say /usr/src.
Make sure that this directory is completely empty.

cd /usr/src
ctm ~me/xxx/src-*

The computer will decode all of the ctm files, and put them into /usr/src.
You are ready to start making the world (which is very well described by a link
that you will find in the FreeBSD handbook).

Notice that in /usr/src, you will see a file called .ctm_status.  This contains
information as to which ctm file you are up to.  So if tomorrow you download
src-3.0182.gz and src-3.0183.gz, then typing the command:

cd /usr/src
ctm ~me/xxx/src-*

will cause only src-3.0182.gz and src-3.0183.gz to be applied - it will skip all
of the other files.  Actually, it is rather clever - if you do something stupid,
like miss out one of the files, ctm will figure this out, and will not let you
do this.

I download them, but only apply the ctm command before I do an actual make
world.
You want to make sure that the sources match whatever binaries you have, because
if you make changes to the kernel, you want to be sure that the kernel binary is
in sync with your other binaries.

The ports work similarly - in that case, I update the ports directory as soon
as I get the ctm files.  Just remember, when you do the very first ctm, you must
have a *Empty.gz file as your starting point, and the directory into which
you apply the ctm must be completely empty.

After that, you need never download any more *Empty.gz files.  The remaining
files are quite small, so downloading them is not so bad.

Another thing - if you ever modify one of the files that ctm has placed there,
then any later ctm that attempts to modify that file will fail.  What I do then
is
to completely clean out that directory and completely start over.  I keep
backups
of all my ctm files for just that reason.

Hope this helps.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu