Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:27:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directories disappearing?

> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>

> > Starting approx a week ago, directories have started to disappear from
> > my -current system.  It only seem to affect directories in which files
> > are added/removed (both operations have had directories disappearing
> > under my feet).
> >
> > Anybody else that are having the same problem?  Any suspect changes?
> > I've not had enough disk activity for the files in the directories to
> > go away through proper unlinks - I've had a a directory with 3000
> > files disappear with nary a sound from the disk.
> >
> > fsck is not reporting any problems with the disk this has happened on.
>
> Tell more.  Are you running SMP?  Have you looked into your archive, are
> the files really gone, or unhooked from cvs?

Most of them weren't CVS-related.

I'm not running SMP; single processor PPro 200 with 64 MB RAM, 3
SCSI-disks on an Adaptec 2940.  128MB swap (yes, too little - old
system). This was on an UFS with noatime, but NOT async.

See my mail to PHK for other details of exactly what kind of
directories that disappeared.

Eivind.