Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 02:11:21 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports gripe

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:54:27AM -0700, Clint Olsen wrote:
> On May 06, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >=20
> > Um, what "port interface"?
> =20
> Portupgrade and friends.

Strictly speaking portupgrade is a third party utility.  It does a lot
of things (like upgrades) better than the bare ports collection, which
is why it's highly recommended.

If you prefer to use portupgrade over the make-based ports collection,
then by all means do so!

> > Using ports is documented in the Handbook (your canonical source of
> > FreeBSD documentation):
> >=20
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using=
.html
>=20
> Thanks for the links.  It doesn't really cover the fundamental issues -
> explaining the relationship between a port, a package, when to use make or
> when it's better to use port{install,upgrade} etc.  I have seen messages
> saying that portupgrade is preferred for a particular port over 'make
> install'.
>=20
> Some of the confusion stems from the fact that there's portinstall but no
> portdeinstall.  There's pkg_deinstall, though, which appears to be a
> wrapper around pkg_delete.  Intuitively you'd expect the dual of each
> command - or at least some explanation of why one exists and the other do=
es
> not.

Removing packages is simple, and there's no need for a whole new
utility to do what pkg_delete does.  It's upgrading that is hard, and
that is the main role of the portupgrade suite.

> In your original mail, you said I should have done "make all deinstall
> reinstall".  However, the first question that came out of my mind was, wh=
at
> exactly does the 'all' target do in this case, and are you referring to a=
ll
> the ports or just this one port in particular?

'all' is a synonym for 'build' in this case.  See also the ports(7)
manpage.

Kris

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--