Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:02:37 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clarification before buying a internet static IP address

On Monday 16 July 2007 09:13:47 vuthecuong wrote:
> I need from you advice before doign things.
>
> Up to now, I have a home web server using free DynamicDNS service of
> dyndns.org.
> With it, I can access directly to my home web server from ouside through
> Internet.
>
> Now for some reason, I not want to use DynamicDNS service anymore.
> So I tend to buy a staticDNS from domain reseller.
> Suppose that I only buyed a domain www.mydomain.com with internet static IP
> address : 74.52.8.254, not buyed hosting service from that domain reseller,
> can I be able to set up my own DNS server (in my home PC server) so that
> I can
> browse directly to my home web server by typing www.mydomain.com
> into address bar of firefox, opera?
>
> i meaned, in other words, in order to host one website so that in can be
> "seen"
> all over the world, I have no way but must use external hosting service?
> Tnx
> Sorry for my bad English

thats what i do.  i purchased only the domain name, and set the authoritative
DNS servers to point to my static IP (well, IPs in my case).

in your case, you will probably have to purchase your static IP first.  during
the time that this is being set up, continue to use your dyndns service, then
after the IP is in place and stable, buy your domain name.  when you are
setting up the domain, you can then specify the IP address that you already
have up and running as the DNS server.  it would be a good idea to already
have the DNS zone written and running on your server while you are making
this change.

good luck!
--
Jonathan Horne