Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:05:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Querying for grown defects?

>      Is there any way from FreeBSD to query a SCSI drive for grown
> defects (remapped sectors)?  I've taken a look at scsi(8), but I've
> absolutely no idea what parameters to use (assuming that scsi(8) can
> even be used for this).

scsi(8) will let you send any command to the drive, so if you have
the scsi II spec you can probably rig up the right incantation.
I don't think you want to, though, since...

>      I think my root disk is going south on me, and I'd like to find out
> if I've properly enabled the automatic sector remapping on the drive.

you can look at your mode pages to see if you have it on.  You want
to look at mode page 1:

> beggar# scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -m 1
> AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
> ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
> TB (Transfer Block):  0
> RC (Read Continuous):  0
> EER (Enable Early Recovery):  0
> PER (Post Error):  0
> DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
> DCR (Disable Correction):  0
> Read Retry Count:  27
> Correction Span:  11
> Head Offset Count:  0
> Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
> Write Retry Count:  0
> Recovery Time Limit:  0

and see that the AWRE and ARRE fields are set to 1.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936