Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:28:29 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad T23 Coming Out of Sleep

On Saturday 10 August 2002 09:32 am, Andy Sparrow wrote:
> > I was thinking that this might be mouse related.  It seemed to happen
> > when I was wiggling the mouse as the system was coming back to life.  It
> > was just too intermittent to be sure that it was related.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> > On the other, this has
> > a tendency to corrupt files so I don't want to see it happen a lot.
>
> You're using softupdates? Or not?

Oh yeah.  Never leave home without it! :)

> I've found that this seems to make the filesystems much more resilient -
> leastways, operator intervention is only extremely rarely required here
> after a crash, and I've certainly not noticed any corrupt files (of
> course, if they were open/being written/being edited, it's hard to say
> how anything could help you much there....)

Again, it's real tough to say.  It doesn't happen often enough to relate the
crashes to other glitches.  They only "seem" to coincide.

For instance, I use KNotes quite a bit for keeping odds and ends in.
Following one of these sleep induced crashes a couple of the notes got
glitched pretty bad.  Was it a problem with KNotes?  A file that was open
that didn't recover?  There's just not enough data to know if there is a
relationship or not.

There have been other little things like this over time, but even these are
rare.  The vast majority of the time fsck runs on the reboot and everything
comes back perfectly.  When you consider I only crash from sleep mode 5-10%
of the time, and of those maybe 5-10% exhibit any post reboot problems it is
about impossible to know if the two are related.

It may be that I'm incorrectly associating a big event happening (system
crash) to a smaller unrelated (note corruption) event.  I just don't know.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."