Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 14:51:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure deletion

> I know of at least one government department which drills through the
> platters when disposing of a disk drive.

   We used to be required to "de-commission" hard drives by disassembling
them, deguassing the platters and them forcibly removing the media with a
belt grinder. Both the platters (or what was left of them) and the (now
powdered) media were placed into secure storage (policy said for 10 years
minimum).

   It seems a bit extreme, but I will admit it *is* a secure erase
method. That's military thinking for you...

--R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site