Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:47:55 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>, Masaya Kinoshita <mkino@po.iijnet.or.jp>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a perceived need for a 2.1.8 release?

At 12:21 PM 4/20/97 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Actually, I'm inclined to agree. If Walnut Creek doesn't wan't additional
>> inventory, why not scrap the live filesystem on disk 2 and deliver 2.1.x
>> instead?
>
>What if I put it on disk #2 of the SNAPshot CDs?  They're cheaper to
>subscribe to ($14.95 a copy) and now that I've got a double-CD set for
>the SNAPs (a single CD was getting too squeezed) I can put a fair bit
>on the 2nd CD.

People wanting to keep running 2.1.x do so because they want extreme
stability, and are already up and running on 2.1.x.  This indicate vital
machines, probably running in a production environment.  Anybody willing to
take down such a machine and actually replace the underlying system by
doing a re-install should IMHO upgrade to 2.2.  (Especially if Justin keep
his SCSI-changes away until they have been tested really thouroughly in
-current ;)

However, for people that want to make an upgrade in place, by recompiling
without taking down the server, the SNAP CDs are probably already what they
want, without knowing it yet.  The SNAPs include a full CVS-tree (or I'm
just babbling), so an upgrade of the 2.1.x sources can be done by just typing

cd /usr
cvs -d /cdrom/cvsroot checkout src
cd src
make depend
make
make install
cd sys/i386/conf
config MYKERNEL
cd ../../MYKERNEL
make
make install
reboot

If we add a script for doing this to the SNAP CDs, as well as a static
version of cvs for those having really old distributions, people can easily
use this to upgrade.

Eivind.