Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:47:27 -0400
From:      Mykel <Mykel@mWare.ca>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IT! WORKS!

Ken Smith wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:38:08PM -0400, Mykel wrote:
>

>>w00t!
>>
>>I have the June 14th snapshot installed and running on my Ultra2!
>>
>>Aside from HORRIBLE terminal issues (ncurses is allergic to the console,
>>also, you can only type at about 1CPS, everything else gets dropped)
>>
>>but
>>
>>IT WORKS!
>>
>>$ uname -a
>>FreeBSD phoebus.condor.lan SNAP-20040612 FreeBSD SNAP-20040612 #0: Mon
>>Jun 14 07:25:37 UTC 2004
>>root@bobbi.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  sparc64
>>

>Yay!  :-)
>
>FYI - I'm going to do another snapshot.  Scott reported there was
>more fixed recently than just tagged transfers.
>
>Serial port is still the best way to do an install, that's on the
>todo list... :-)

Well, you see - I /had/ thought of that, but you must understand... what
I have on my desk:
-> Centrino laptop (Slackware) with no RS232 ports
-> $CLIENT's PC/router/server/paperweight
-> Toshiba T1200 laptop

Yes... T1200 - an XT, (it's only 5 or 6 years younger than me) running
MSDOs 6.22 and ProCOMM+, the only problem is - the screen is too small
for any reasonable terminal, so it's just a mess.

So I just bit the bullet, reboot serveral times before deciding VT100
mode would be the best on the console.

Now how about the console? how can I make typing at least practical on
here? I was hoping to use this as a desktop machine.

Also - can I just CVSup from my local mirror or is that different on
Sparc64? And X - how do I get that going? Just follow the handbook?

If anyone wants to ssh into this box, I can create some accounts and
punch some NAT holes

Myke