Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:02:03 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making the panel transparent in 2.10

Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> Adam Weinberger wrote:

>>> Explain a bit more plz. Do you mean that you want all the applets
>>> transparent as well?
>>>
>>> You know, the best way to get a completely transparent panel is to
>>> delete it.
>>>
>>> # Adam
>>>

>> While it's true that would be one way to do it, but I sorta like the
>> panel up there. In answer to your question, yes - the whole thing. As it
>> is, you can set the transpearancy, but it does not do the complete
>> panel. Only parts of it. IE: Where it's labeled Applications Places
>> Desktop
>

> When a panel is set to be transparent, it passes a signal in that regard
> to all the applets in that panel. If an applet recognizes and has
> support for transparency, it will set itself to be transparent. The menu
> portion of the panel has not been built with transparency support, and I
> sincerely doubt it will be. It is designed to stand out against a
> background.
>
> # Adam

Thanks for the explanation Adam. Just today I moved from KDE to Gnome.
So far, without any regrets.

So - please don't mind if I ask several basic and silly questions.

--
Best regards,
Chris

In order for something to become clean, something
else must become dirty.
... but you can get everything dirty without getting
anything clean.