Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:15:51 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't build kernel with ndis

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> w=
rote:
>> If you want to insert the auditdistd user manually, that is fine,
>> though I find doing it with mergemaster easier. (If you use it
>> correctly ('m' option), it won't destroy your password file. But don't
>> do it with vi. the actual pssword file is only a part of the process
>> and the tool to properly edit it is vipw.  Ir will edit /etc/passed,
>> update master.passwd file, and, most importantly, update actual
>> passworf databases. You can manually do this by running  pwd_mkdb.
>> --
>> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>> E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com
>
> Your typos confused me, I couldn't find a file /etc/passed but found /etc=
/passwd.

> vipw made no changes for me.
>
> I finally found how to use the m option inside mergemaster -p, it was ver=
y tricky.

Sorry for the typos. I reality need to proof messages before hitting
send, but I was a bit rushed and didn't do it.

> mergemaster -m is for using a different directory instead of /etc (I chec=
ked man page).

mergemaster is "for" /etc, but it works in a temporary directory in
var and, when you select "install", it copies whatever is in that
directory into /etc (or sub-directories of /etc).

> After many attempts, I found what was wrong and changed the newly-offendi=
ng line in /etc/master.passwd .

> So finally I was able to make installkernel with apparent success.  I wil=
l let rebooting single-user and the rest of the update wait because I now a=
m overdue for bed.  I also want to update for i386 and for a USB-stick amd6=
4 installation, partly so I can test the ndiswrapper.  I also want to build=
 wine (i386).

Once you get used to it, the merge operation in mergemaster is pretty
easy to use on most files. Always use 'r' for the $FreeBSD$ line and
'l' for the sections that are modified. In the password and group
files, it is usually just 'r' followed by a few 'l's. I run the
"pre-buildworld" run (-p) as is and use -iPF options with the 'main'
mergemaster run. You can also use 'U' which will save a lot of time in
the main run, but it is NOT fool-proof and can bite you on rather rare
occasions, so I have stopped using it. Believe me when I tell you it
was a LOT worse in the days before mergemaster was written and all of
the merging had to be done by hand. That was really a pain!

Good luck with ndis. I've had mixed success with it over the years,
but have no devices that require it ATM and even when I did, I used
the module.
--=20