Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:55:38 CST
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, ccsanady@iastate.edu
Subject:   Shared IRQ's create intereting problems..

Until recently, I thought that PAS driver was just somewhat broken.. until
I experienced the same problems with a soundblaster in a different machine.

What happens is that the sound output would be garbled.  I discovered that
when I give the card its own IRQ, things work fine.  Is this right?  In the
LINT config file, conflicts is specified for sb0 so I assumed it to work.
Both machines had the lpt on 7, which conflicted.  Then one day when I
actually tried to use the parallel port, the machine would hang every now and
then.

So, anyway, what is the deal here?  Are you just not supposed to share IRQ's
in certain ways?  Or is this just a bug?  One of the boxes is 2.2BETA for
what its worth, the other current.

-Chris

PS please keep me in the cc