Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 09:48:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        staffs@hotmail.com (Scott Stafford)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: g++

Scott Stafford queried:
> The computer system at my college runs version 4.4 of the ULTRIX operating
> system.  Is freeBSD comparable to this system?

Yes.  Ultrix is based on 4.2 BSD, FreeBSD is based on 4.4 BSD.  Obviously,
FreeBSD has additional features, being based on code that is 14 years
newer.  Ultrix was never known as a paragon of stability anyhow -- it
is noted in the Hacker's Jargon File as being known as "buglix."  ;^)

You'll also find that a pentium-based FreeBSD system is faster than
your Ultrix system.  ;^)

> I am interested in using this OS to save me the trouble of logging in and
> tying up a phone line whenever I need to compile a program.

Great idea.  Plus, it'll probably compile much faster.  ;^)

> My second Question would be, does it have g++?
> This is what I use to compile with.

Sure does.  Plus GDB for debugging, and most every other tool your
heart desires.  Your Ultrix programs should port very easily, unless
you are reading the password file directly or something else deep in
the bowels of the system.

> Thank you for your time.
> Scott Stafford

Like MJ and his buddies at Nike keep telling us:  Just Do It!  If
you like Ultrix, you'll love FreeBSD.  Plus, the price is right.