Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:34:37 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript dependencies

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 10:25:37PM +0900, CHOI Junho wrote:

>     MSFF> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:23:17PM +0900, CHOI Junho wrote:
>
>     >  I think it's the reason that these ghostscript-related ports doesn't
>     >  have dependency on only one ghostscript version.
>
>     MSFF> I understand your claim.  >     MSFF> However, we should try to think about someway to handle
>     MSFF> this. IMHO, dependencies SHOULD be handled whenever possible.
>     MSFF> Sometimes, even when not. :)
>     MSFF> That's one of the main purposes of this chibang we call
>     MSFF> ports tree.
>     MSFF> Naive users, will install gv to find out it does
>     MSFF> not work. Damn FreeBSD, it is broken. I will try that
>     MSFF> graphic interface from RH.
>     MSFF> This is no joke.
>
> But RH or many Linux distribution has no 'freedom of choice'. It just
> install only one version, so it's not a problem for them.

	I was not arguing those were better just how some
prospective user might react. :)

>     MSFF> For you and all other expert users all around
>     MSFF> who chose an specific version of ghostscript, the proposed
>     MSFF> modification will not produce any problems. You already
>     MSFF> have a binary called gs on your path, the build dependecy
>     MSFF> check will ignore building ghostcript6 although not
>     MSFF> adding the dependency correctly as I would have wished for.
>     MSFF> However, for those who just want to get it working
>     MSFF> whatever it is (i.e., ghostview and family) the modification
>     MSFF> is beneficial IMHO.
>
> Yes, but it applies only in case of installing from
> ports. Packages(.tgz) have a dependency list which have exact version
> numbers of depending packages. If we wrote RUN_DEPENDS to gs6 on our
> Makefile, it records gs-6.01 on @pkgdep, so it will install gs6 when
> installing ghostview, even he has installed other ghostscripts.

	Not if my idea follows, it will check in the DEPENDENCY_RUN
database and thing the declared gs as already available. If the
user does not install a GS-family port 1st then the default
goes. I am sorry, can't please everyone. :)
	I am accepting suggestions on this one.

>     MSFF> One possible solution for this would be building
>     MSFF> a inverted list indexing with our depedency checks:
>
> [...]
>
> It can be some solution. But for now, I think the following is prefer:
>
>  - add pkg/MESSAGE saying 'please install any of ghostscript ports'.

	For now, I agree, such a change would not happen in less than
a month anyway.

> But, the situation like ghostscript can have a problem for users. If
> we have a concept of a group of related packages(e.g. ghostscript =
> gs2, gs55, gs6, ko-gs-ft, ko-gs-httf, ja-vfgs etc...) and make related
> application such as gv depend on this group(ghostscript).

	That's the idea behing inverted list indexing. All of them
install gs so that gs indexes them as per the last email.

MSFF>       When I try to be install ghostview, I will
MSFF>check the apropriate database (_RUN) and I will find
MSFF>there is a RUN_DEPENDS gs there pointing at
MSFF>korean/*ghostscript. So it will know who to depend on
MSFF>when adding both REQUIRED_BY and @pkgdep.

	Besides, we can use this as integrity checking; oops we
already have a gs under PREFIX, do not go there, use FORCE_PKG_REGISTER
if you must; or, try a different PREFIX.

	Regards,
		Mario Ferreira