Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 06:37:14 -0800
From:      intrico@pacbell.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Large Hard Disks

I am attempting to install FreeBSD 3.3 Stable on a Maxtor 36.5 GB Utra DMA
hard disk.  I would like FreeBSD to be the sole operating system on the
disk.  After going through setup, the filesystems seem to be created okay,
but as soon as it attempts to begin extracting files to the disk, the
installation quits with
a "panic: ufs_dirbad : bad dir".  My motherboard is an ASUS P2B-F with the
bios upgraded to the latest version which does support disks larger than 32
GB.
I originally tried installing FreeBSD on the disk while it was new and it
failed with the panic string that I gave above.  I then [Microsoft]FDISKed,
formatted with FAT32 and  tried installing windows 98 alone on the disk and
it worked, then tried installing Windows NT workstation 4.0 alone on the
disk with NTFS - and it worked as well. I also tried an 8.5 GB Maxtor and
FreeBSD installed sucessfully on it.  So now, I'm seeking answers to these
three questions...

1) Is FreeBSD incompatible with UDMA?
2) Is FreeBSD itself able to handle IDE drives as large as 36.5 GB, and if
not, what is the maximum disk size that it will support?
3) If FreeBSD is compatible with UDMA, and is able to handle IDE disks as
large as 36.5 GB, what would most likely be causing the panic error given
above?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help reach a solution here.